Pipelines & Tunnels
We are a recognised leader in the planning, design and construction of pipelines and tunnels. Our services focus on the core areas of water and wastewater infrastructure, including pipelines, pumping stations, tunnels, canals and reservoirs.
Pipelines and Conveyance
Our conveyance services for our water and wastewater clients include feasibility analyses, alignment evaluations, energy and efficiency management and design of pipelines, tunnels, canals, pumping stations and storage reservoirs. With our extensive conveyance experience, we rank among the Top 3 in water supply, transmission lines and aqueducts by Engineering News-Record.
Tunnels and Underground Structures
For more than five decades, MWH has been involved in investigating, planning, designing and constructing underground and trenchless projects. We use proven underground design and construction techniques for water and wastewater conveyance; and hydroelectric, dam and mining infrastructure and underground projects. With our extensive tunneling experience, Stantec ranked among the Top 3 design firms by Trenchless Technology.
Our comprehensive underground engineering services include:
Regulatory Requirements, Planning and Permitting
Ensuring project success through effective and efficient project planning, adherence to regulatory requirements and permitting, including:
- Water, wastewater and stormwater system master planning
- Environmental planning, permitting and compliance
- Route evaluation studies
- Public outreach and stakeholder facilitation
Condition Assessment and Rehabilitation
As aging infrastructure continues to impact our clients, MWH experts assess the condition of pipelines and tunnel projects and provide innovative rehabilitation solutions, including:
- Trenchless technologies
- Pipeline assessment and forensic engineering
- Asset management services
- Life cycle analyses
We have extensive experience in the design of hydraulic structures and specialised fluid flow analysis, integrating our hydraulic and underground engineering expertise to optimise projects for size, cost and maintenance, including:
- Planning and design of hydraulic structures
- Specialised fluid flow analyses
- Hydraulic and transient analysis software, including our own suite of proven hydraulic software such as H20NET and H2OSurge.
Preliminary and Detailed Design
Our multi-disciplinary design team blends expertise and proven reputation for innovative, quality design for underground engineering projects, with services including:
- Civil, electrical, mechanical, geotechnical and architectural engineering and design
- Technical, economic and financial feasibility studies
- Hydraulic model studies
- 3D Modelling
- Tunnel engineering
- Trenchless technology
- Geotechnical investigations
- Design of pumping stations, excavation support, gates and valves
- Design review
- Value engineering
Our experts have a proven track record of providing program management services to deliver complex underground infrastructure programs.