Our aim is to successfully deliver a high quality of service while developing workable closure outcomes which meet industry best practice. MWH has a proven track record in the provision of closure planning, project management, project execution and delivery.
We provide quality closure planning and decommissioning strategies to a large range of clients within the mining sector. Closure planning is an integral component of the mine life cycle, commencing at the feasibility stage. Efficient and effective closure solutions require continued planning through the mine life cycle to post closure monitoring, maintenance and relinquishment.
Our Mine Closure skills cover a wide range of expertise relating to planning of mine closure and tailings decommissioning, soil characterisation, rehabilitation, financial provisioning, risk assessments, and community liaison. All of the team members have a solid understanding of state and federal requirements.
Mine Closure Planning
- Due diligence and general gap analysis reviews
- Knowledge base development
- Identification and preparation of legal compliance registers
- Development of closure objectives and completion criteria
- Closure strategy and management plan development
Progressive rehabilitation planning
- Financial provisioning for closure
- Development and delivery of Mine Closure Plans
- Disturbance resolution and mine domain and feature mapping for figure preparation and liability calculation
- Conversions of static Mine Closure Plans to the online progressive rehabilitation closure system (PRAC™)
- Mine closure works direction, design and support during decommissioning
- Preparation and facilitation of risk assessments tailored to company requirements, project status and site characteristics
- Development of strategies to address risks
- Risk reporting
- Community liaison
- Stakeholder consultation with local communities and regulators
- Consultation register
- Development of a consultation strategy plan
- In-depth knowledge of the tailings life cycle
- Knowledge base development
- Design and development of researched closure solutions
- Development of Conceptual Tailings Decommissioning Plans for progressive closure planning
- Development of Draft and Final Tailings Decommissioning Plans for submission to regulators
- Guidance in decommissioning and closure of facilities
- Support in attaining relinquishment
- Development of a major closure studies package for Gold Fields Ltd, including a Mine Closure Plan, six Tailings Decommissioning plans, soils and waste characterisation, rehabilitation audit, contaminated sites assessment, surface water assessment, a groundwater studies package, and PRAC™ implementation for the St Ives Gold Mine in Kambalda, Western Australia (WA).
- Development of a Mine Closure Plan for the historic polymetallic Hercules Mine, near Rosebery, Tasmania.
- Development of a Closure package for the Challenger Gold Mine, in South Australia for Kingsgate Consolidated Ltd, including a Mine Closure Plan, PEPR Update, Risk assessment, PRAC™ Update and Tailings Storage Decommissioning and Design Works.
- Development of the Duketon Gold Project Mine Closure Plan for Regis Resources Ltd Western Australia (WA).
- Development of Quarry Mine Closure Plans on behalf of Holcim (Australia) Pty Ltd within the Pilbara, Goldfields and Southwest regions of WA.
- Development of the Coyote Gold Project Mine Closure Plan for Tanami Gold NL, in the Tanami Desert, 20 km west of the WA/ Northern Territory (NT) border.
- Development of the historic Matilda Gold Project Mine Closure Plan for Blackham Resources Ltd, Wiluna, WA.
- Calculation and lodgement of mining rehabilitation levy for Lloyd George Mining Pty Ltd Gibraltar Open Pit Operation, approximately 25 km southeast of Coolgardie in the Goldfields of WA.
- Development of two separate Tailings Decommissioning Plans for an above ground and an In-pit facility at Newmont Asia Pacific’s Granites Gold Mine, approximately 550 km northwest of Alice Springs in the NT.
- Implementation of the Progressive Rehabilitation and Closure System (PRAC™) at the Challenger Gold Mine for Dominion Mining (now Kingsgate Consolidated Ltd). PRAC™ is an electronic system designed to assist Challenger manage their rehabilitation and closure obligations and commitments since 2007.
- Independent environmental advice to the Jerdacuttup Ravensthorpe Working Group, since 2008, on issues that have the potential to impact the farming community adjacent to the Ravensthorpe Nickel Project, throughout operations and post closure, located in the Great Southern region of WA.
Click below to download more information about our Mine Closure services.